Definite Article ‘the’
Indefinite Article ‘a, an’
- Before the countable and uncountable nouns
– He is the captain of our team.
– The shampoo is sweet smelling
- Before the noun starting with vowel and consonant sound
– The orange are ripe.
– The bus has not yet arrived.
- To make the noun particular or special.
– Call the boy here. immediately. (means the special boy who is being spoken of)
- Before singular countable noun
– He is a boy.
– Dog is an animal
- ‘A’ is used before the noun starting with consonant sound. While ‘An’ is used before noun starting with vowel sound.
– Take a bus to reach school.
– Give me an apple to eat.
- To indicate that the noun is not particular but common or general also mean ONE in number.
– A boy is sitting in the table.
– An aeroplane has just landed.